01 Nov 2009 Na Mele O Maui Student Art Competition Results
WAILUKU, HI – Art by Bridgette Ige, 10th grade, Kamehameha Schools Maui, was selected Best of Show and First Place in the Division II, Three-Dimensional Art category for the 2009 Na Mele O Maui Student Art Competition.
“Bridgette?s ceramic ?opihi was creative and fun,” said Steve Brinkman of Brinkman Photography. “It was beautifully executed and tied to the theme perfectly.” This year’s theme, Mai Uka A Kai, featured original artwork from high school
students centered around the theme of mountain to sea.
Two-and-three dimensional artworks were submitted by students from Baldwin High, Kamehameha Schools Maui, Lahainaluna, Maui High, Maui Preparatory Academy, and Seabury in grades 9 – 12.
Judging took place at the Department of Education, Maui District Office located at the State Building in Wailuku. This year’s judges included Steve Brinkman, Bonnie Friedman, and Phillip Sabado.
“Getting back to basics was a running theme with this year’s entries,” said noted Maui artist Phillip Sabado. “Students and teachers who focused on interpreting the theme and those who invested time to research ended up with strongest pieces …art with clear points of view and an organic result.”
“It was really nice to see different media – photography, ceramics and wood cuts,” said Bonnie Friedman of Grapevine Productions and this years 3rd judge. “I was incredibly impressed with the wood cuts and how the pieces expressed culture. Kudos to the students and teachers…the woodcuts had the clearest expression of culture.” The winning artwork will be on display at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center on Thursday, November 19, from 9 am – 2 pm.
2009 Na Mele O Maui Art Competition Results:
Best of Show / $200
• Bridgette Ige, Kamehameha Schools Maui, 10th grade, Teacher – Levi Mason
Division 1 / Two – Dimensional Art (cash awards of $100, $75 and $50)
• 1st Place – Devin Galloway, Maui High, 9th grade, Teacher – Rondy Arquero
• 2nd Place – Vy Luong, Maui High, 10th grade, Teacher – Leilani Green
• 3rd Place – Bailey Pendergrast, Lahainaluna High, 10th grade, Teacher – George Kahumoku
Division II / Two Dimensional Art (cash awards of $100, $75 and $50, no cash for Honorable Mention)
• 1st Place – Tiffany Suh, Baldwin High School, 12th grade, Teacher – Janet Sato
• 2nd Place – Ashley Visitacion, Maui High, 11th grade, Teacher – Rondy Arquero
• 3rd Place – Sarah Yadao, Maui High, 12th grade, Teacher – Rondy Arquero
• Honorable Mention – Lori Lee Mendoza and Rachel Yanos, Maui High, Teacher – Rondy Arquero
Division I / Three Dimensional Art ($100)
• 1st Place – Ken Kanemitsu, Kamehameha Schools Maui, 10th grade, Teacher – Levi Mason
Division II / Three Dimensional Art (cash awards of $100, $75 and $50, no cash for Honorable Mention)
• 1st Place – Bridgette Ige, Kamehameha Schools Maui, 10th grade, Teacher – Mrs. Mason
• 2nd Place – Group Project – Jonalyn Dumelod, John Kevin Magaoay, Katelyn Neeck, William Thompson III, Derrick Torricer, Maui High, Teacher – L.W. Guntzel
• 3rd Place – Kaili?i Faust, Lahainaluna High, 12th grade, Teacher – George Kahumoku
• Honorable Mention – Sarah Ing, Kamehameha Schools Maui, 12th grade, Teacher – Levi Mason
FOR MORE INFORMAITON, MEDIA CONTACT: